Make this Valentine’s Day all about loving yourself more. Do something that makes you feel loved by you!
While some people don’t even think twice about Valentine’s Day, for some, it can bring up a lot of emotions.
When I was single – and totally believed that my worth was determined by being loved by someone – Valentine’s Day made me feel lonely and unworthy. Those feelings of unworthiness always came back to my body. I would end up vowing to be stricter with my diet and to workout more because I believed that losing weight would help me find a partner who loved me.
When I was in relationships, I had high expectations for what Valentine’s Day should be like. And when the day didn’t replicate a dreamy romantic comedy, I felt disappointed and like there was something wrong with me.
As I began to feel more confident and love myself more, Valentine’s Day brought up fewer negative emotions for me and I began to enjoy the holiday more.
Loving yourself more definitely doesn’t happen overnight. It’s a practice. Doing loving things for yourself is a part of that practice.
Even if you’re not feeling Valentine’s Day, it’s the perfect day of the year to show yourself a little extra love. Here are 5 simple and non-cheesy ways to love yourself this Valentine’s Day…
- Buy yourself flowers. Fresh flowers can really brighten up your home and make you smile every time you walk past them. Find a bouquet of flowers that makes you happy and place it somewhere in your home where you’ll see if often.
- Do the thing that you’ve been putting off because of fear. We all have that thing that we’ve been putting on the back burner because we’re scared of failing or fearful of what people will thing. Do the thing!
- Create a space in your home that makes you feel cozy. Whether it’s a comfortable chair with fuzzy blankets and pillows in your bedroom where you can read or a bench covered in pillows in front of a window where you can sit in the sun, make a place that allows you to connect to you.
- Treat yourself to your favorite dessert, and enjoy every single bite. No guilt! I love French macarons, but I very rarely buy them because they’re expensive. So I buy a few French macarons on Valentine’s Day, put them on a fancy plate, make some tea, and savor every bite.
- Take a relaxing bath. OK, this one might seem cheesy, but taking a spa-like bath is seriously the best. I love lighting candles, putting on relaxing music, adding a few drops of lavender essential oil to my bath water, putting on a face mask, and soaking. I especially love enjoying a glass of wine while I take a bath. Try it!
How will you show yourself some love this Valentine’s Day?
Want to stop obsessing over food? Download my free guide to discover how to eat more intuitively and never diet again. Download your guide here.