Taking care of myself during this strange time has become my top priority. I’m sharing the simple things I’ve been doing to practice self-care during quarantine for the COVID-19 pandemic.
Life is pretty weird right now. We’re in the midst of a global pandemic because of COVID-19/coronavirus, and life has been completely upended for most of us around the world.
It’s been a month since I taught in-person yoga and Pilates classes. It’s been a month of home quarantine (only going to work). I, luckily, have still been able to work because I teach classes at a hospital gym. Once the gym closed, I was reassigned at the hospital and have done various jobs over the past month.
It’s definitely been a month of experiencing lots of stress and anxiety around the unknown.
I don’t think there’s a way to feel totally grounded and balanced right now. But I’ve been working every day to do small things that help me to feel more grounded and balanced in order to reduce the stress and anxiety I’m feeling.
You’re most likely feeling stressed and anxious too, so I thought it might be helpful for me to share what I’ve been doing to practice self-care over the past month.
- Daily Meditation – I mentioned last week that I’ve been using the Calm app for guided meditations in the mornings and sleep stories to help me fall asleep. Starting my day with meditation helps me to start my day getting connected to my breath and my body, and to set an intention for the day.
- Gratitude Journal – After I finish my meditation, I write down three things that I’m grateful for. Sometimes it’s small things like coffee and my sweatpants and other times it’s things like being able to continue earning an income during this time or having a healthy body.
- Personal Care – Face masks, facial massage, dry brushing, hair masks. Taking time for extra beauty rituals has been a good distraction and stress reliever for me.
- Reading – I’ve read nine books in the past month! Reading has been a much needed distraction for me. The news and social media is overwhelming at times and getting absorbed in a book helps me to stay off of social media.
- Gentle Movement – Getting outside to take our dog for a walk and getting on my yoga mat have helped me to feel more connected to myself and let go of heavy energy that I’ve been carrying.
- Baking and Cooking – Finding recipes and spending time in my kitchen has helped me to reduce stress and anxiety and focus on providing nourishment for myself and my husband.
- Netflix – And Hulu and Amazon Prime and HBO. Watching TV has been such a great distraction for my husband and I. We’re re-watching Parks and Rec for, like, the fifth time because we need something light right now.
- Puzzles – My husband and I love doing puzzles because it allows us to be totally present. We like to listen to records and drink coffee (or wine depending on the time of day) while we work on a puzzle.
- Social Media Detox Days – Once or twice a week I take the day off from looking at social media. Social media and the news feels like a lot right now, and I can easily get sucked in to feeling more anxious about the state of our world by scrolling. Take a day or two off each week helps me to feel more grounded.
- Wine – I’m not gonna lie, having a glass of wine (or two) has been one of my coping tools. Having a glass of wine while I cook dinner or while I do a face mask brings a little luxury and normalcy to my days.
- Being Cozy – There’s something about feeling physically comfortable that brings us emotional comfort. I’ve been living in sweatpants and spending a lot of time under my favorite fuzzy blanket drinking coffee. I like to turn on my essential oil diffuser and use cozy and comforting scents like cinnamon bark, ylang ylang, palo santo, and lavender.
I hope you’re taking the time to care for yourself right now. Because you have more time available to you, you may feel the pull to be productive. But because we’re all experiencing a trauma together, it’s most likely challenging to stay focused and have the motivation to be productive. So ditch the to do list and do whatever you can to take care of yourself.
This is a time to practice radical self-compassion and to be easy on yourself.
Ready to stop dieting and start making peace with food and your body? Download my free Anti-Diet Starter Guide.
Want to know more about how essential oils can help you support your wellness? Download my Top 5 Essential Oils I Can’t Live Without.
Join me in my private group, Happy Healthy Empowered, for weekly live coaching and workshops, and daily inspiration for living your best anti-diet life.